The History of 5th Ward
Houston’s 5th Ward neighborhood is one of the six political districts established in 1866. It is located inside the city’s inner loop northeast of downtown. Prior to the Civil War, the area was sparsely populated. Post-war, Freedmen (emancipated slaves) settled in the neighborhood. Part of the neighborhood has been designated as a Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more than 150 years, 5th Ward’s greatest strength has come from its diverse and active community members, various civic and community groups. 5th Ward was built on passion, leadership and hard work. Civic groups include the Super Neighborhood Council, Fifth Ward Civic Club, Progressive Fifth Ward Community Association, and the Fifth Ward Chamber of Commerce. Churches in the community – some more than 100 years old – serve as places for worship as well as provide critical support and services for families.