Our community was established around 1908 when African American families started moving outside the Houston city limits and purchasing property platted and sold by the Wright Land Company. In 1915, six hundred residents worked together to form their own separate municipality called, “Independence Heights”. Independence Heights was a thriving community.
The business district was along North Main Street as it was aligned with more than forty black-owned businesses including: grocery stores, restaurants, a lumber company, a watch repair shop, ice cream parlors, a cleaning and pressing shop, a drug store, a black smith shop, law offices and an electrical shop.”
In 1928, the residents voted to become part of the City of Houston in order to obtain better services. The town was annexed in 1929.